Buckerfield’s, BC’s Original Country Store has been serving and strengthening our province since 1919.
In 1890, Ernest Buckerfield set out west from Moncton, NB. As the president of Buckerfield’s, E.B. oversaw the grain, feed & seed business. By 1929, Buckerfield’s had 21 retail branches and by 1932 Vancouver boasted the greatest grain elevator capacity of any ocean port in the world, Buckerfield’s enormous grain elevators among them.
During the Great Depression, E.B. continued to innovate. In 1931, he built his first corn cereal plant in Western Canada. By the end of the 1930’s, Buckerfield’s diverse clientele included homemakers, nursery owners, gardeners and pet owners. During World War II, E.B. lobbied support for egg farmers in BC. In 1951, E.B. fell ill and sold majority shares in the company to two BC family-owned firms. E.B. served as president of the jointly owned company until his retirement in 1955. After 14 years of partnership with Federal Grain, Pioneer Grain acquired complete ownership in 1965.
In 2005, five local shareholders purchased the Buckerfield’s chain with 9 stores across southern BC and Vancouver Island. 100% BC owned and operated, Buckerfield’s has been serving BC communities since 1919, holding true to our founder’s vision and values of a sustainable future for British Columbia.